Quarantine Thoughts - Day 2


Yesterday, the Portuguese government presented the measures that are to be in effect during this emergency state. They created different rules for 3 groups of people: Infected people or people that suspect being infected, 70+ year old people and the rest of the population.

I fit in the latter category, therefore I can circulate outside if I’m going to work, to assist a family member, to buy essential things or medicine or to exercise. Of course, all of these activities must be done with care and concern for ourselves and others.

In general, I think the measures that were presented to us are not very strict and are feasible for now. Depending on future developments, these rules might need to be revised.

All I hope for is that people respect what is being asked of them and to take in consideration everyone around them. That’s the only way we are going to be able to overcome these darker times. Now more than ever, we have to be united.

Yesterday I was also able to chat for a bit with an old friend of mine, from Italy. I was shocked at the things he said. Apparently, the news only let us know a fraction of what’s really going on in Italy. And the scenario is of complete horror. Bodies are piling up; doctors are giving up on their fight (some even taking their lives) ... He even said that the only thing left is going towards martial law, in order to control the situation. I would’ve never guessed that things could be even worse than what we see on tv every day, so I was shocked.

Situations like this can make us feel powerless, but upon reflecting a bit, I realize that there’s always something we can do. Since I have the studies and experience, I decided to volunteer in local diagnostic labs, to help the scientists that are very much in need. But other things can be done. Perhaps going shopping for the elderly neighbors; supporting local hospitals or clinics with gloves, alcohol, masks or other scarce medical supplies. Maybe even just reaching out to people in quarantine that might struggle with isolation. The least people can do is ask how others are doing. Lend an ear. This is how we move forward.



Comments

Become a Patron !

Want to know a little bit more about me? Contribute to the growth of this blog? Become a member of my personal circle?

With only 1€ you can become more involved in my life and work, while lending me a (very needed) helping hand.

Become a Patron today and get access to exclusive content right now!

https://www.patreon.com/kellyable

Popular posts from this blog

Everyday Makeup

Quarantine Thoughts - Day 34

Antisocial: An experiment without social media